Have news relating to Jewish boxers? Email the editor here!

Monday, November 25, 2013

Wohlman on His Last Fight and His Future

Welterweight Zachary "Kid Yamaka" Wohlman talked to The Jewish Boxing Blog about his last fight and his future. Wohlman outboxed Steve Conkin on November 14 and won a unanimous decision to move his record to 6-1-1 with one KO.

Of his opponent, Wohlman said, "I've got to give him credit. He was tough. He was crafty. I talked to him after the fight and he said he had 70 fights amateur fights." Wohlman, who took the fight on one and half week's notice, said he was initially scheduled to face former Dmitiriy Salita victim Roberto Valenzuela, but the California commission did not approve the bout.

Wohlman was pleased with his performance, "I worked on the inside. I felt comfortable. I boxed early, then I went off on him. Then I boxed again when I realized I wasn't going to get him out of there." Wohlman was satisfied with his stamina. In his lone loss, which took place a year ago, Kid Yamaka punched himself out in the first round and was stopped afterwards.

Wohlman was offered a spot on a Salita Promotions card in New York in December, but he said there were logistical issues. Nevertheless, Wohlman anticipates his next fight will be six rounds. He said he doesn't foresee any stamina issues and is excited because, it takes him a couple of rounds to warm up, so, as a boxer, if there are more rounds scheduled, he has a better chance to succeed.

Zac also had kind works to say about other Jewish boxers, specifically Salita, Yuri Foreman, Boyd Melson, and Cletus Seldin.

No comments:

Post a Comment